Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Doing a 360 for the Views

This past weekend my husband, MeeOk, and I took a walk along the Rocky Ridge at Las Trampas in the East Bay Parks. It's a climb to the top. I'm so out of shape that I had to stop often to catch my breath. One would think I'm climbing in the Sierras the way I was breathing going up the hill.


This was the start of the climb. Still easy going for me. My husband and Meeks had no trouble doing the climb.


I quickly got a shot of Ming as he took a brief stop in the shade. I think he was asking me how I was doing.


Once at the top of the ridge we were rewarded with views of the Bay Area. Looking east is Mt. Diablo.



Turning 180 degrees provided views west to the Bay. The marine layer of clouds were already starting to roll back in that day.


While walking along the ridge trail, we came across a small verdant patch that receives nourishment from a spring. Meeks took a lick of the water, while I cooled off in the shade of the huge California Bay Laurel.


This is what the leaves look like up close. The plant is in the same family of the Bay Leaf used in cooking. It too can be used for cooking, just a bit strong.


The surrounding area is all dry and brown, which is the normal look for the California hills in the summer. Luckily for us there was a breeze to keep us cool.


We headed south along the trail. The little oasis behind Ming is the entire bay tree.


As we walked along the trail, I noticed some lupine growing. The lupine must be getting moisture from the daily fog bank that covers the hills in the evening and then rolls out early morning.


Just before our descent, I take this shot of the views southwest. Somewhere off along the left of the path is the junction to the trail that we took back to our car.


The two mile descent along the Elderberry trail took us by a cattle trough, numerous dried up streams, and Corral Camp. I didn't get any pictures of that routine since my phone's battery was low. Here is a map of the route: Rockey Ridge View trail and Elderberry trail. Total trip was 4.59 miles.


Meeks back in car ready to head home.


No comments:

Post a Comment